- Itchy Ankles Symptoms
- Symptoms of ankles which are itchy include:
- Itchy Ankles Causes
- Causes of itchy ankles without a rash include:
- Itchy Ankles Treatment
Ankles which are itchy are defined as a feeling that causes an individual to scratch the skin of the ankle. Itchy ankles can become very serious at times so care which is proper should be taken of the ankles. Itchy ankles are fairly common and there are many causes. But it really depends on regions that the individuals live in. Asian individuals are most resistant to dust as well as other natural causes of itchy ankles.
Individuals who live in western countries are extra sensitive and very often get allergic reactions to many things in their environment.
Itchy Ankles Symptoms
Symptoms of ankles which are itchy include:
- Ankles which are swelling
- Ankle numbness
- Ankle rashes
Itchy Ankles Causes
There are many and various reasons for ankles to be itchy. These can include changes in weather, illnesses, and problems with the skin as well as medications. If it is left untreated, ankles which are itchy may become vulnerable to damage from scratching. This can ultimately lead to an infection.
Causes of itchy ankles without a rash include:
- Skin which is dry
- Ankles which are swollen due to hypothyroidism, heart disease or kidney disease
- Old injury of the ankles or surgery
- Intestinal parasites – which will also cause gastrointestinal symptoms
- Varicose veins
- Peripheral neuropathy caused by diabetes – itch normally occurs at night
- Cleansing products which have sulfates
- Psoriasis. An itch which appears years before any rash
Causes of itchy ankles with a rash include:
- Heat rash
- Reaction to plants while walking with sandals or barefoot
- Cholinergic urticaria
- Athlete’s foot which is a fungal infection. Discoloration or scaling is also normal.
- An allergic reactions to socks causing hives or eczema
- Stasis eczema
- Scabies mites, chiggers, dust mites
- Crohn’s disease
- Bed bugs
- Nummular eczema
Itchy Ankles Treatment
There are several steps to the treatment of itchy ankles and they include:
- Stop the itching by using an ice or cold pack on the affected area. By applying coldness to the areas which is itchy can keep the skin cool and stopping the itch. It can also help an individual stop from scratching often. The ice pack can be placed to the itching area at 20 minutes at a time whenever it is needed.
- The itch can be treated also by applying a mixture of ginger juice and oats. Ginger contains a powerful substance called gingerol that helps reduce inflammation, redness as well as itchiness of the ankles. It will also soothe any rashes in are also around the areas. The mixture can be made by adding one peeled ginger root and one cup of oats uncooked in a blender and turn on to blend until a paste is make. Apply this paste to the ankles 2 times a day as well as at the first sensation of itching.
- Apply to the ankles calamine lotion such as Caladryl. These lotions are fast acting as well as being very soothing to the skin while reducing irritation as well as the itching. Apply this lotion to the areas twice daily as needed. Calamine lotion can be attained at any local drugstore.
- Apply moisturizing lotion which contains menthol. Menthol as well as other ingredients in moisturizing lotions can soothe and cool the itching of ankles. It also can prevent the skin from drying as well as cracking. Apply the lotion very generously to the areas which are affected or when itchiness begins as well as before sleep. A good lotion for this is Aveeno Skin Relief lotion with menthol.
- Make an appointment with a dermatologist for help with the itching. The doctor can also diagnose the cause of the itching as well as offering advice and treatments to manage the itchiness.
For mild treatment of ankles which are itchy antihistamine pills can help. For eczema as well as psoriasis steroid hormones can be used.
Other ways to help itchy ankles are using hot water, ice as well as Epsom salts.